Friday, July 22, 2005

Two Years to live...

I'm currenlty working with a physics experiment called CMS (Compact Muon System). This is a large collaborative experiment with 1000s of experimenters all over the planet. I'm working this summer on helping to build a tier 2 computing center here in Nebraska. All the things I didn't like about being on DO are magnified a thousand times on CMS. Thousands of people all working on a single experiement and hardly anyone wants to help anyone else. So what do you get? People re-doing tons of work with hardly any oversight. I hate it.

Nothing I've done this summer has felt like I've added a bit of wisdom to the project. My entire existance could be replaced by a fairly adept email bot. Its horrible. So where does that leave me? I can't stand being in a position where I feel useless, so what I thought would be my professional future here at UNL is looking very unappealing. My physics career is back to two-years to live.

I'm on a teaching contract here at UNL to teach pre-meds. Its a fine job and I enjoy teaching, but I don't think I'd care for teaching at anywhere but a fairly large 4-year college. I can't get a job at at a large 4-year school without an impressive research resume. It's appearing more and more that I'm just not a good researcher (at least in HEP), hell I don't think I'm a very good physicist period. So my entire career as physicist might just stop in two years.

So now I have to figure out where to go from here and the clock is once again ticking.

When will this shit start getting easier?

2 Comments:

Blogger The LQ said...

I have an old friend in the Houston area who ran into a similar difficulty in chemistry when he was at UA-Fayetteville. He had done a stint with the Central Intelligence Agency as an IT guy; now he manages the Linux cluster for Conoco-Phillips. He generally enjoys it, especially since he had always dreamt of a science-fiction job, and it pays well. Even so, I get the impression that he has some regrets.
Jonathon

9:37 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

So why would you only want to teach at a large 4-year college? What would be a wrong with a smaller college?

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home