Thursday, August 25, 2005

Old Journals and Letters

I was looking through some of my stuff the other day to see if it needed thown out or sold at our garage sale. I came across a journal I kept during my first year of graduate school. Along with a bunch of pointless ramblings it contains a bunch of letters I had received over the years from various people. I read through most of the letters and then read through the journal. I came upon this old gem from Oct 16, 1993, 12:50 am (although it was at the end of a long entry, so it was probably written closer to 3:00 am):
...
It was a night like this many years ago when the dark lord came to sit before me. He looked at me from behind ancient spectacles, their bright silver frames reflected the red light which emanated from his eyes. He was a small man, his hair dark black with flecks of grey. He smelled of tar and coal.

Shuffling slightly he looked me over, “Young man, what would you want in trade for your soul?”, he rasped. His voice sounded like a pile of dry leaves rustling in a cold autumn wind.

“Give me fame and glory. Give me power over others. Let me be beautiful in the eyes of the young. Let all men fear me. Let everyone tremble at my name. Let me have a dominion with many servants and slaves. Give me this and I will forfeit my soul.” He stared at me long and hard, then slowly he smiled. “That's exactly what I wished for as well.”


...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home