Friday, September 16, 2005

Job Interview Madness

One of the numerous things keeping me away from my appointed rounds is that I had an interview for the CMS tier-2 job here at UNL. Here is the WTF moment of the interview. Since all the other interviewees were remote and the tier-2 project didn't have funds to bring them here to interview them, they decided that ALL the interviews had to be done via remote videoconferencing. So I too had to interview over the videoconference equipment. So I sat in one room on campus and the panel sat in another room on campus and we teleconferenced.
Awesome.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zathras said...

Actually, I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I was applying to be a legal writing instructor at Texas Wesleyan University, which was just 1/2 mile from where I worked then. I got an interview, but most of the other who got an interview were out of the area. Since it was the first interview, they were not going to pay people to come, so the two people doing the interviews arranged for them to do telephone interviews. And, to have the appearance of fairness, they made everyone do the interviews on the telephone.

The real kicker of the situation was that for my interview, only one of the two interviewers were there, while for the others both interviewers had a chance to talk to them, so I was put at a much worse disadvantage than the others would have been if I was the only face-to-face interviewer.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

So how did the interview go?

6:40 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

Geez, for someone that doesn't even have a blog, Mark sure complains a lot about non-posting.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

I have no feeling about how the interview went. Since it was over VC I had little empathic feedback. Without being able to judge responses and such, I may as well have sent off a video tape of the interview.

In any case, I don't see how they can offer me this job. We need someone in that position last month. They can't wait for me to finish up teaching.

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home