Monday, December 19, 2005

End of the semester...end of an era

I finished up my grades late Friday night. I doubt many of my students will be happy. This marks my most difficult semester teaching. I think the students are starting to read too much into my 'good press'. They think because I come highly recommended that I'll be easy. They are sorely disappointed when they find out that they have to work hard and there is no free lunch.

As it turns out this will be my last semester teaching for the forseeable future. My department could not find a person to cover the single course that I wanted to drop to begin my new position part time. To get someone to cover they went back to the search committee that hired me to teach and asked them to approach the second place finalist. They hired him to replace me totally in my teaching role once it was determined that CMS could hire me full time immediately. I'm happy they could hire the second place guy. He's 63 and his group had lost their grant funding a couple of years ago. He had left physics to be a used car buyer in Omaha. He'll work in the department until he retires.

For me there will be no more students. No more lectures. No more rigorously defined time scales & schedules.

I'm a creature of habid and order. I hate change and its looking as though 2006 will be a year of tremendous change for me and I'm none too excited about it. I'm entering a poorly defined position that will demand a great deal of skills I have yet to develop.

I have friends who thrive on change and flux. I am not such a person.

Well, here's to 2006. Hopefully it'll be a good one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zathras said...

You're probably counting me as one of those who "thrive on change and flux." I still do, but it has become more difficult to deal with as I have become older. I have difficulty switching gears at the end of every semester. I sometime get into a rountine of watching a TV show even after I have lost interest in it.

The only time our bodies are in equilibrium is after death. We are just travelers in this world, and change is part of this. Is that enough platitudes for you?

Good luck with the changes in '06. My own life will be relatively static next year, but that is probably just the calm before what '07 is likely to bring.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Zathras said...

So how is the new job going? You must be extremely busy, between the new job and the kitchen remodel

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home