Thursday, June 01, 2006

The Tax Man Cometh

I got my property re-evaluations yesterday for Lancaster County. My property evaluation went up 107%. (The county assessor was on the radio yesterday and he said "I don't do percentages", I can only assume that's because he can't do the math in his head.) He found the whole thing funny.

This is the second time they've upped my evaluations. Since I bought the house in '99 my evaluation has gone up 300%. The first time they did it I had an escrow account that suffered an underrun, so I had to pay hundreds of dollars in fees.

The average evaluation increase across the county was 17%.

I'm mad as hell, but I'll have to just take it because that's the system. The fact you can't fight city hall has never been more true. There is a method by which you can protest, but the assessor gave a veiled threat implying that if you protest, they may well further increase the evaluation.

I guess I should count my lucky stars that they don't want to put in a resort on my property. If they did they'd just eminent domain my ass out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home