Thursday, September 22, 2005

I am doomed.

Recently I've been less than thrilled with my career choices. It has a lot to do with being on the dead end track of lecturer, having skipped the 30 years most spend as a tenured professor first. Now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do in 18 months when I'm out of a job at UNL. To help me begin I went to one of those 'career helper' websites and filled out their 'things I like to do' questionares and they gave me back some graphs of what my career choices should be.

(I did one of these in high school, it said I should become a 'fish stunner' for the park service. Maybe I should have listened.)

Here are the two graphs it pooped out.


Fat lot of help that is. Nothing new here. Move along.

Quite frankly I think the top line of the first graph and the bottom line of the first graph are incompatible in terms of career choices. All scientists (certainly in my field) have to be super assertive.
I am screwed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zathras said...

Hey Carl,

Which website did this come from? I've done several of these.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

livecareer.com

Be sure to opt out of their stuff.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Zathras said...

It was an interesting test, with some interesting results for me:

Writing 93
Food Service 92
Teaching / Social Services 88
Personal Service 85
Art 71
Science 71
Health Service 63
Outdoors 58
Industrial Art 45
Assertive 29
Persuasive 27
Clerical 20
Systematic 6
Sales 2
Administration 1

So I guess I'm better off writing cookbooks.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Karin's highest score was in 'food services' too. She made the mistake of telling the people at her office about it. I think they're calling ther the 'short order archeologist' or something like that.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home