Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more...

I realized that I've packed a lot of weight on since January. What happened in January? I stopped teaching.

Now that may seem a minor thing, but I did a (literal) back of the envelope calculation involving my teaching style. You see, I pace when I teach. Back and forth, back and forth. Its annoying, but it makes me a hard target for sharp-shooters. Anyway, if I averaged say, two miles an hour (that's slow for my regular pace--long legs you know) I've calculated that I was walking about 18 miles a week just teaching. (!)

Just for fun, I ran the numbers against my lecturing career (no recitations, no labs) here at UNL. Accounting for the variable number of sections I had and the summer sessions I taught, it came out to about 4300 miles over my career. That's a Journey from Chicago to Houston and back. Twice.

Forrest Gump ain't got nothing on me.

Now I'm in the gawd awful gym huffing and puffing to go 1/2 a mile on the stupid treadmill.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zathras said...

You also had that surrogate pregnancy thing going on. I've heard that it is common for prospective dads to gain weight when their significant other is pregnant.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Carl said...

Yeah, I thought about that too. There were many nights were Karin would say "Icecream, I'll buy if you fly..."

DOH.

Give not into temptation.

Now I'm paying for it.

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home