Saturday, October 01, 2005

Its a Small World in Nebraska

One time I and my college roommate were at DFW airport and I made the comment that I thought it was weird to see so many people and to not know any of them. My big city roommate thought that was hilarious. Well, here's a story that shows where I get that stuff.

Today at the game I was talking with the guy who has the seats next to me. He's a really nice guy who's fun to watch the games with. I mentioned that I was worried about Nebraska playing Baylor down in 'Wacko'. He says, "Have you ever gone to the Texas Marshall Museum in Waco? Its really cool. I went one time when I was visiting my daughter at this small school she attended, the University of Dallas in Irving." Once I picked my jaw up out of the row in front of us I said, 'You're kidding right? I got my degree from UD." Turns out her freshman year was the year after I had left. Anyway, that was pretty funny we both thought. So after our moving rendition of the Star Spangled Banner I told him about meeting the people in Paris, France who knew where North Loup Nebraska is but had no idea where Beaumont Texas is. He then asks, "Did you go to North Loup/Scotia? Did you know Medburries?" "Sure", I replied, "Wilber was my math teacher." "Oh, my nephew's ex-wife was his youngest daugther Amanda." He then filled me in on what the Medburries are doing.

A couple of weeks earlier at the game I noticed a woman behind me who looked terribly familiar. I finally figured it out. She is the sister of one of my best friends from high school.

77,000 people go to games at memorial stadium. Each week I see lots of people I know, or know people I know. I've heard it said that no matter where you go you can always make a Nebraska connection. Now I believe it.

As for the game? SUPER fun to watch. Although the horrible refs tried their best to cost Nebraska a win, Callahan's team looks a lot better than they have in the past couple of weeks.

I was a fan of overtime until I had to sit and watch my team go into overtime with a real shaky offense.

1 Comments:

Blogger Carl said...

The Nebraska crowd was only asking for equal consideration. ISU got pass interferrence called on all their questionable passes, and we only got it once, in overtime.

The refs missed a really obvious PI call against ISU only 3 or four minutes after calling UNL on a questionable call. It seemed to us that the refs weren't calling them consistently.

The biggest roar out of the crowd was when one of the refs got steam rolled in the dog pile.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home